WestgateLit are delighted to announce the first Westgate Literary Festival Short Story Competition. This competition is open to both adults and children and is broken into five different age categories each having slightly different requirements but all having the same theme – “Westgate-on-Sea“. Your story must be linked to the theme in order to qualify, however, how you do that is up to you!
- New Writers – Aged between 5 and 7 years old. Entries should be no more than 500 words. Submissions in this category are free.
- Young Writers – Aged between 8 and 11 years old. Entries should be no more than 500 words. Submissions to this category are free.
- New Teen Writers – Aged between 12 and 14 years old. Entries should be no more than 1000 words. Submissions to this category are free.
- Late Teen Writers – Aged between 15 and 17 years old. Entries should be no more than 2000 words. Submissions to this category are free.
- Adults – Aged 18+. Entries should be no more than 5000 words. Each entry costs £10.
Short listed entries in all categories will be published in a Westgate Literary Festival anthology, and winners in the Adult Category will receive a cash prize.
To enter, submit your payment by simply adding your Competition Entry to your Westgate Literary Festival shopping cart via the “Add To Cart” button and then go to the checkout – you can pay online using your credit or debit card or via PayPal, if you have an account, using the same link. Please submit your manuscript in Word or PDF format using the form below making sure you include your PayPal Receipt number – you’ll get that when you pay and it will appear in both the on screen receipt and in the email will be sent in confirmation of payment. Please ensure that your digital and postal contact details are correctly filled out in the form and your entry and payment (if applicable) reaches us no later than midnight on the 8th September 2019.
Winners will be announced at the Westgate Literary Festival 14/15th September 2019.
All submissions must be original, and by submitting your story you are agreeing to the competition rules and granting WestgateLit First British Serial Rights to publish. Entries must be in English and be accompanied by proof of payment as per the instructions on the submission page.